(The following is an excerpt from a blog that I ran across on WordPress that I believe is certainly worth noticing, SK)
“Gentlemen, in order to produce marked changes in behavior and attitude it is necessary to weaken, undermine or remove the support systems of the old patterns of behavior and the old attitudes. Because most of these supports are the face to face confirmation of present behavior and attitudes, which are provided to those with whom close emotional ties exist, it is therefore essential to eradicate those emotional bonds. This can be done either by removing the individual physically and preventing any communication with those whom he cares about or by proving to him, the prisoner, that those whom he respects are not worthy of it and indeed should be actively distrusted.” -Dr. Edgar Schein, Sept. 18, 1962
Dr. Schein then presented to the assembled group a literary of suggestions and tactics designed to attain “behavioral modifications” desirable by prison officials to control the thinking patterns of its incarcerated populace and to curtail or reduce an appetite for cultural or political aspirations. These 24 accumulous and widely implemented tactics & maneuvers are set out below:
1. the physical removal of prisoners to areas sufficiently isolated to effectively break or seriously weaken close emotional ties.
2. identify and segregate all natural leaders.
3. use of cooperative prisoners as leaders.
4. prohibition of group activities not in line with brainwashing objectives.
5. spying on prisoners and reporting back private materials.
6. manipulating prisoners into making written statements which are then shown to others.
7. exploitation of opportunist and informers.
8. convincing prisoners that they can trust no other prisoner.
9. treating those who are willing to cooperate in a far more lenient way than those who are not.
10. punishing those who show uncooperative attitudes.
11. systematic withholding of mail and other correspondence.
12. preventing contact with anyone non-sympathetic to the method of treatment and regimen of the captive populace.
13. disorganization of all group standards among prisoners.
14. building a group conviction among the prisoners that they have been abandoned by, and totally isolated from their social order.
15. undermining all emotional support.
16. preventing prisoners from communicating with family and supporters regarding the conditions of their confinement,
17. making available and permitting access to only those publications and books that contain materials which are neutral to, or supportive of the desired new attitude.
18. placing individuals into new and ambiguous situations for which the standards and rules and policies are deliberately kept unclear and then putting pressure on the prisoner to conform to what is desired in order to win favor and a reprieve from the pressure.
19. placing the prisoner whose will power has been severely weakened or eroded into a soft living environment with others who are further advanced in their brainwashing reform who’s job is to influence the teetering prisoner to give up and assimilate into the desired behavior.
20. using techniques of character invalidation, i.e., humiliations, revilements, shouting, isolation; to promote sensory deprivation, to induce feelings of guilt, fear, and suggestibility.
21. meeting all insincere attempts to conform with the desired thought patterns with renewed hostility.
22. repeatedly pointing out to the prisoner that those prisoners whom he respects as a leader and example of strength is not living up to the values and militant principles that he espouses. supplanting the thought that all other prisoners are hypocrites and liars.
23. rewards for submission and subservient attitudes which embrace the brainwashing objectives by providing praise and emotional support to those who embrace the desired behavior(brainwashing) which reinforces the new attitudes.
24. making sure that if a once militant prisoner is ever revealed as being a snitch or a homosexual, that all prisoners learn of his disgrace in order to create doubt and misgivings in the environment. Creating false rumor, character assassination on a militant prisoner.